Saturday, 13 October 2012

Features Post #1 - Website Concepts


After a long break from University, it's nice to be back. Work is coming along nicely on the new WINOLHereandNow interactive online magazine and I'm very happy to be a part of the team.

I've been working closely with Jason French, WINOL's new website coder, watching the new website take shape. I've submitted a couple of small graphics concepts to Jason to have a go at implementing, but obviously they're not final builds.

The graphics serve as a means of giving us a better idea of how the website will actually look when it's complete. I'm currently juggling working on my own feature ideas whilst at the same time helping Jason if he needs something making for the website code.

Currently, we don't have a dedicated role for website graphics, so for now we'll make do with my efforts. Admittedly, I'm not an expert at Photoshop and it's not ideal, but it'll have to do for now.

First of all, background ideas. Looking at a number of other student websites online it was clear to see that simplicity was key. Of the selection of websites I looked at with Lee, we saw that websites either had a plain solid colour behind their content or a two/three-tone style background. I decided to mock up my own version of this for Jason to mess around with.

Background Concept (1)

I made a new header to compliment the background. It uses the grey shades at the top of the graphic above to make the header appear to be embedded.

New Concept Header (2)

Here's the original WINOL website header:

Old WINOL Header

It might be that the header I've designed is too simple. This'll have to be something I discuss with Lee and Jason. The clickable hyperlinks on the design will be likely to change also, as the website expands to cater for new content.

To give a better sense of how the header and background combine with our existing content, here's another concept image below using all those elements:

Header and Background Concept (3)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Web Directory
Add blog to our directory.
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More